Lancaster County, nestled in the heart of Pennsylvania, offers an array of experiences for visitors of all ages. Whether you’re seeking family fun, culinary delights, outdoor exploration, or a dive into Amish culture, this charming region has it all. In this blog post, we’ll highlight the top things to do, places to eat, outdoor adventures, experiences of Amish heritage, and five excellent accommodations options in Lancaster County.
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I may make commission off of purchases made through the product links.
Explore Lancaster County
Lancaster, Pennsylvania will always have my heart. I was born and raised there and most of my family still lives there. There is a quaint and simple way about it and there is some much do in Lancaster with kids. It’s one of the main reasons we escape the busyness of SWFL and spend our summers resting in Lancaster.
Growing up in Lancaster, I thought it was the most boring place in the world. Over the years, I’ve found the sweet spots and love sharing my hometown with my kids. Not only did I live there for 18 years, but I’ve spent the last 6 years exploring as a tourist. It’s safe to say, I’ve become and export of the area.
We’ve found some tried and true places that you must visit on your next trip to Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
Family Friendly Activities
- Enjoy a day of laughter and excitement at Dutch Wonderland, an amusement park that delights kids of all ages.
2. Explore hands-on exhibits and interactive displays at the Lancaster Science Factory, sparking curiosity and imagination.
3. Discover the enchanting world of trains at the Choo Choo Barn, featuring a detailed miniature model train layout.
4. Make learning fun with interactive play at Hands-On-House, a non-profit children’s museum.
5. A unique indoor play place, Tiny Town has 11 interactive playhouses to explore. Stimulate your child’s creativity and imagination.
6. Taste the best Lancaster County has to offer at Roots Country Market. From farm fresh fruits and vegetables, local favorites, and handmade goods, Roots has it all.
Places to eat
- Savor a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch meal at the iconic Shady Maple Smorgasbord, a buffet experience like no other.
- Indulge in mouthwatering ice cream flavors at the famous Lapp Valley Farm, a dairy farm turned creamery.
- Delight in the unique flavors of Amish country at Good ‘N Plenty Restaurant, serving hearty and homemade dishes.
- Enjoy American cuisine and history all in one at Cork & Cap, located in The Cork Factory Hotel.
- An authentic British pub with great conversation and craft beer, Bulls Head Public House is in the heart of downtown Lititz.
- A historic lager area brewery, Bube’s Brewery is a microbrewery with great food, great entertainment. and even better beer. For a romantic setting, make a reservation at The Catacombs.
- Dine at a working brewery like Lancaster Brewing Co. and enjoy local craft beers and great food.
- Grab a quick bite and sweet treat at Bird-In-Hand Bakery and Cafe. It’s the perfect stop for a light meal before exploring local attractions.
- Embark on an exciting hot air balloon ride with the US Hot Air Balloon Team, taking in breathtaking views from above.
- Rent a bike and explore the picturesque landscapes of Lancaster County along the scenic Lancaster County Central Park.
- Experience the thrill of zip-lining at Refreshing Mountain, offering high-flying adventures for all skill levels.
- Take a ride on the iconic Strasburg Railroad and see the beautiful country and farmland fo Lancaster County.
- Ignite all your senses and tap into your adventurous side at Cherry Crest Adventure Farm. From the most amazing corn maze to all the farm activities, there is something for everyone.
- Enjoy America’s pastime, a ballpark hotdog, and cold beer at a Lancaster Barnstormers game.
Experience amish heritage
- Take a guided tour of the Amish Farm and House, immersing yourself in the Amish way of life.
- Visit the Amish Village to witness traditional farming practices and learn about their rich cultural heritage.
- Explore the Landis Valley Village & Farm Museum, offering a glimpse into 19th-century Amish and Pennsylvania German life.
- Take a scenic tour of the countryside by horse and buggy with Abe’s Buggy Rides.
- Embark on a guided tour of Amish farmlands and enjoy other cultural experiences with The Amish Experience.
Places to stay
- The Inn at Leola Village – A luxurious historic inn surrounded by beautifully landscaped gardens.
- Fulton Steamboat Inn – A unique lodging experience aboard a replica steamboat, complete with nautical-themed rooms.
- Amish View Inn & Suites – Enjoy the tranquil countryside views and comfortable accommodations.
- The Warehouse Hotel at The Nook – A contemporary hotel with easy access to sports facilities and entertainment.
- The Lancaster Arts Hotel – A boutique hotel showcasing local artwork and offering a stylish urban escape. RELATED POST: 5 THINGS WE LOVE ABOUT LANCASTER ARTS HOTEL
- The Cartoon Network Hotel – Immerse yourself in the world of cartoons at this family-friendly hotel.
- Cork Factory Hotel – A unique boutique hotel in a converted factory in the historic city.
- Lititz Springs Inn – Stay in the heart of one of the coolest small towns in America with this quaint Inn.
Lancaster County is a destination that promises unforgettable experiences for families. From exciting amusement parks to delicious local cuisine, outdoor adventures, and immersions in Amish heritage, there is something for everyone to enjoy. Plan your visit, explore the rich offerings of Lancaster County, and create lifelong memories in this enchanting part of Pennsylvania.